Purchasing flood insurance for your home or business isn’t something to overlook. Most property insurance policies do not provide flood coverage. If a flood impacts your home, you could suffer large losses to your home and belongings. If this happens, your homeowners insurance may not provide support to you. Yet, a flood insurance plan may.
It is important to realize what a standard flood insurance policy does and does not cover.
Structural and Building Protection
Flood insurance usually covers buildings and some types of property that floods can damage. This provides a wide range of support for the actual building and the systems within it. Coverage generally includes:
- The building itself, including its foundation. Foundations can be common areas for drainage and floods.
- The building’s electrical system.
- The building’s plumbing systems.
- Utility systems like the air conditioning, heating, and water heating system.
- Large and built-in appliances like dishwashers, refrigerators and stoves.
- Carpeting and other flooring that’s permanently installed.
- Certain wall ornamentation like paneling, bookcases, wallboard and cabinets.
- Window coverings like blinds and some draperies.
Flood insurance can expand to include other buildings on the property, like detached garages. However, the flood insurance policy might have to mention these buildings for them to have coverage. Otherwise, they will likely need a separate policy.
Flood insurance can also certain belongings in the structure. These can include clothing, food, portable and window air conditioners and washers and dryers. It could cover many types of valuables. However, some policies might only cover valuables up to a specific level per item or in total. This generally is $2,500 in liability.
It is important to remember that flood insurance does not cover everything, all the time. Usually, items like septic systems, patios and hot tubs are not covered by flood insurance. It is best to check with your insurance company to see that items are not included with flood insurance.
You are often protected when there is significant flood damage to your home. Flood insurance is a valuable asset to have, but it does have its limits. You should always talk to your agent to see what your policy covers, and how it applies to each case of flooding.
We’ve got your back. Call Ten Eyck Group at (518) 464-0059 for more information on Albany flood insurance.