While you might be perfectly comfortable and confident on your boat, there’s no denying that being on the water comes with inherent risks. Fortunately, avid boaters find that keeping certain items on board can come in handy in a sticky or risky situation. We’ve compiled a list of five vital items to keep on your boat at all times to help in case of an emergency situation.
1. Lifejackets: In the event of an accident or fire, lifejackets can literally save your life. Make sure there is a properly fitting lifejacket for everyone onboard each time you leave the marina.
2. Phone or radio: A reliable method of communication can be beneficial in a number of scenarios. If you rely on your cell phone, make sure you keep a charger onboard. A radio might prove a better option.
3. First aid kit: Minor wounds can be treated immediately so you don’t have to abruptly end your boat excursion. Keep your kit stocked with sterile gauze, antibacterial ointment, bandages, cleansing pads and other essentials. Additionally, make sure you know how to treat cuts, scrapes and other minor wounds.
4. Tool kit: Keeping a few basic tools on board can come in handy if minor repairs are needed. A multi-tool, hammer, cable ties, duct tape, basic hardware and other essentials allow you to rig a quick fix until you return to shore. Throw a flashlight in the bag too for nighttime repairs, or to signal for help in an emergency situation.
5. Rope: Whether you’re tying your boat to a dock, towing or tying down equipment on the deck, rope is a very versatile material to keep onboard your boat.
We’re here to help keep you safe. Call Ten Eyck Group at (518) 464-0059 for more information on Albany boat insurance.